Friday, March 21, 2008

Car Dealerships & Airports

I bought a new car today. I am excited and will have a picture for my next post, but I would like to talk about the dealership right now. I read in a book "If you feel like you're getting hustled at a car dealership, it's because you are." They shmoozed me and kept saying how much they were going to take care of me. It felt nice to be courted like that. The finance girl kept saying, "You got a screamin' deal on that car." She said it probably six or seven times. They gave me the "employee price" for the auto-protection package. Funny, that was the same pricing they gave me the last time I got a car from them. My dad new the salesman, he's a young kid, so I felt good helping him out, better than from a huge dealership in AZ. In the end, I got the exact car I wanted just a year older, but still brand-spanking-new. I wasn't expecting to buy a new car, I just wanted to test-drive one to make sure that was what I wanted so that if it wasn't I had time to research other cars. I guess it's true, they have to make the sale during the first (or in my case, 2nd) visit or adios, they aren't going to make it. I feel good about my purchase, I will let you know if I regret it later. They are "pimpin'" it out now! I am so excited!

I am in the Las Vegas Airport now, waiting to fly home from Spring Break. I was standing at a gate waiting to see if I could get on an earlier flight and there was an irate customer in front of me. I could understand his frustration, I think I overheard him saying he had been flying/in an airport since 11:00? this morning. But those gate attendants really do have a lot of power. She had to threaten him with "unfit for travel". Then he got up in her face and asked, "Did you just threaten me?" She said, with a slightly raised voice, "You just threatened me." He stalked off saying loud enough for them to hear, "mumble, mumble, Incompetent, mumble, mumble." I just wanted to say to him, "She has the power. Don't mess with her!" In case you were wondering, it was $72 extra to catch the earlier flight. I stuck with my original flight, to Syd's dismay. Sorry Syd;)

I rode the Shuttle to Las Vegas and there was this girl who was a Sophomore in high school on the shuttle. She said something about 21 being old. I remember 21. I remember thinking how old I was and how old 26 was. I remember being 16 and thinking, "Man, 21 is ancient." Now I think, "21, I was so young then...Life was simpler, etc., etc., etc. 26 is not that old." I wonder what I will think at 27. I was at a meeting where they were going to give a PowerPoint Presentation and they couldn't get the projector to work. I, being the tech savvy teacher that I am, offered to help and the presenter responded with, "Oh good, someone under 30." (Most of the people were older than 30.) I thought that was funny how they worded that. I had never been referred to as someone under 30. Thirty sounds old to me. This was a really random post. And long.

7 comments:

Lewyville said...

Congrats on the new car! When are you coming to pick it up??

BYU Lewis said...

Friday of this weekend! Need a babysitter on Saturday?

Lewyville said...

YES!! We have been wanting to go to the temple!

Michelle said...

Hey you!!! It has been FOREVER! I'm so glad you found my blog! It looks like life is going great for you. How's your family? Are your parents still in SG? That's great that you are a teacher and that you love it. We live in Cedar. My husband is going to SUU. I think we'll be here forever because he has a lot of school left! He got a late start. He'll be 30 this year and he's a sophomore - oh well, school is important, right? Do you care if I put a link to your blog on my blog? I'd love to keep up w/ you!

Michelle :)

BYU Lewis said...

I can't believe you live in Cedar! We'll have to get together sometime when I am up in St. George visiting my parents! Go ahead and put a link! I was going to ask you the same thing...:) I'm so glad I found your blog! I was actually thinking about you awhile ago.

Courtney

BYU Lewis said...

By the way Michelle, what's your last name?

BYU Lewis said...

What session do you guys want to go to? I should be free by late afternoon:)