Thursday, February 7, 2008

My Job

I am a junior high teacher, and I know most of you are thinking, "What is she nuts?" But I have to tell you, I LOVE my job. I liked it last year, but I love it this year. This year is my second year at my school, and I feel a lot more comfortable with my surroundings. As I was walking down the hall yesterday, I realized just how happy I was to be at my current job. I still hate getting up in the morning, just because I enjoy sleeping so much, but I absolutely love being at school, working with and teaching my students. They are really great kids and not the nightmare many of you associate with teenagers. They say the funniest things and I have found they are very respectful when you treat them with respect and show them you care about them and want them to succeed.

The best thing about teaching is when former students come back and visit you. Students you never thought would visit you. This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. A student from last year, who wasn't a very good student at all and was involved in drugs, came for a visit. I could tell things were different with him. He told me about some of the poor choices he had made in the recent months, and how these choices had led him to turn his life around. He isn't sleeping in his classes and he is trying to keep the commandments. He said his body feels clean now that he is off the drugs, he can tell the difference. I was amazed! He said he would probably stop by again before the end of the year, and I told him I would love it if he did. Did I say I love my job?

1 comment:

Lewyville said...

I am so glad you are blogging more. I think that is a huge compliment for a former student to stop by. I am sure you are a great teacher.