Saturday, February 2, 2008

"The 5000 Year Leap"

I am reading a book called The 5,000 Year Leap: The 28 Great Ideas That Are Changing the World by Cleon Skousen. The book is about the leap in technology and innovation we have been able to make because of the ideas embodied in the Founding of the United States of America. The example Skousen uses is that the world had been traveling by horse and carriage for nearly 5,000 years, yet, in less than two hundred years after the Founding, we had landed on the moon. The freedoms we have in the United States fostered innovation and advances in technology that were previously unrealized. I find it amazing how much man has been able to accomplish when given the freedom to pursue and develop his ideas. We live in a truly great country with wonderful rights given to us by God, and protected by the Constitution. I have gained a greater appreciation for the vision of the Founders for our great nation as I have read this book. The Founders warned against a lot of what has happened to our country. I find that now, more than ever, we need to stand strong and unwavering and be unapologetic in our defense of what is right and just. God's plan is for us to have agency, and that is what the Constitution guarantees, our agency to worship God and contribute to society however we choose. I am grateful to the Founders for their willingness to fight for what they believed was right. I am grateful that fight made it possible for the Gospel of Jesus Christ to be restored to the earth with all its saving ordinances in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I find it fascinating how the events of the discovery and colonization of the Americas, the American Revolution and the Constitutional Convention of 1787 all culminate in the First Vision in 1820.

My uncle was telling me about a class his father, who was a civil engineer, was in where the professor had drawn a time-line of the Industrial Revolution. The time-line was pretty flat from the time of Adam for several thousand years, then in 1820, there began to be a dramatic spike in the amount of technological advances. My uncle said my grandpa looked around the room and thought, "I am probably the only one who knows why that spike is where it is." The Lord's hand has truly guided the righteous leaders of this nation. I am so proud to be an American!

No comments: